Dienstag, 9. Oktober 2018

Are courses at Berkeley different from the ones in Germany?


Many of my friends always ask me "How is it like studying at Berkeley?", "Is it really that hard?", "Do you get what you payed for?".
As many of my professors would answer that question: - It depends.

First of all, yes the classes here at Berkeley and also at the other University I attended in the US (Castleton University) are in most parts quite different from classes in Germany, or at least from classes at the LMU or TU in Munich.
One of the things I like the most about the classes here is that they are much (!) more interactive and therefore the learning value is much higher as well. Interactive means that it's not just that many people raise their hands and contribute or ask questions. Usually, there is some kind of team practice within each class so you get to discuss solutions with a friend. I always go out of a class and can say I learned something new and I am not going to forget that within the next few days (this is usually what happens in Germany).
Additionally, classes here in the US are generally smaller, with some exceptions of course. While at the LMU business classes consists of a few hundred people, here most of the ones that I attend have only about 15 to maximum 30 people in one room. This allows a much more personal atmosphere.

When it comes to classes being "hard", I wouldn't necessarily say that classes at Berkeley are harder in general. But what I can say is that it is much more work. We have a lot of homework every week e.g. reading books, doing projects or discussing case studies. Most of the work is graded so there is a constant pressure. On the one hand, I really think this is good, because it forces you to review the content of the lecture and you actually learn something for a long term (while in Germany you study 3 weeks before the exam and that might be it). Nevertheless that can be quite demanding and I, like many other students, spend a lot of weekends studying.
I am also taking a Computer Science class (apart from my business studies) which I really like. The teaching stuff is awesome and really cares about their students' success so that you get help literally at any time a day (including weekends!). Nevertheless, this is the most demanding class I have taken so far. But this might also lie in the nature of Computer Science.

To answer the last question: "Do you get what you pay for?" - I would say yes!
Of course it's extremely expensive going to Berkeley compared to what you pay -or not pay- in Germany. Nevertheless, the classes are much better and the learning value is higher. You get a great network here with highly motivated students, an enormous offer of different sports and academic clubs and support with everything you need.
At least for me, I couldn't be happier right now that I made the decision to come to Berkeley and I can recommend everyone doing the same. And by the way - there are many scholarships out there so you can make your stay affordable! :)

Overall I wouldn't say that the education in Germany is bad. In fact there are some things that Germany is definitely better at than top universities in the US (e.g. a more theoretically focused study). Nevertheless, the overall university experience in the US or at least at UC Berkeley is more enjoyable with a higher learning value.

Below you can find three pictures of a design thinking course I am taking. It's a very interactive and fun class!




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen